During the first year the students, in collaboration with the supervisors, undertake the research activity related to the thesis assigned by the Academic Board.
In addition to the research activity, the training plan is completed with the following activities:
- a series of short courses to improve scientific culture in astronomy, astrophysics and space science subjects. In particular, these courses focus on instruments of recent or future deployment, and related scientific objectives;
- an thematic workshop on "communication in astrophysics";
- participation in general seminars in astrophysics;
- participation in the end-of-year astrophysics workshop with presentation of the planned research;
- participation (optional but recommended) in Summer schools for PhD students.
Method of choosing the subject of the thesis
The Board provides a list of theses for the different institutes in collaboration for the PhD programme (Sapienza, Tor Vergata, INAF).
Each students selects 4 proposals in the different institutes, according to his interests.
The Board approves a thesis to each student, following as much as possible the preferences, with a good balance among the different institutes.
Admission to the second year
The students begin working to their research activity form first year, in collaboration with there supervisors. To be admitted to the second year, each student will have to write a brief review on the topic of their thesis.
The same content will be presented to the annual Astrophysics workshop, to the public, and in presence of the PhD board.