Despite the COVID-19 pandemic, the Data Science Ph.D. organized the following FOUR Ph.D. courses of 24 hours each. The classes were attended by dozens of students from various PhD programs.
The four courses are the following:
Data Science for Humanities
- Recognizing Emotions: A Dynamic Path between Works of Art and Memes (February 10th - 11th 2020, Aula B203)Prof. Davide Nadali (La Sapienza) and Antonella Sbrilli (La Sapienza)
- Visit to the Museum of Classical Art at La Sapienza (February 18th)
- In Codice Ratio: towards Knowledge Discovery from Medieval Manuscripts (February 24th 2020, 09:00 - 13:00, Aula B203)
Prof. Paolo Merialdo (University of Roma Tre): Speakers: Donatella Firmani (University of Roma Tre), Elena Nieddu (University of Roma Tre), Francesco Cavina
- Deciphering ancient writings through digitization and machine learning (January 29th 2021, 10:00-12:00, Aula B203)
Prof.ssa Silvia Ferrara (University of Bologna) and Fabio Tamburini (University of Bologna)
Computational and Statistical Methods of Data Reduction
- Computational methods: sampling and inferential issues (May 11th - 12th 2020, 09:00-13:00)Prof. Serena Arima (University of Salento)
- Dimensionality Reduction in Clustering and Streaming (May 14th - 15th 2020, 09:00-13:00) Prof. Chris Schwiegelshohn (La Sapienza)
Data Science for Geographical Information System Applications - Improving Location of Collaborative Mapping Apps
- Citizen Science and VGI, (May 20th 2020, 14:00 - 17:00) Prof. Maria Antonia Brovelli (Politecnico Milano)
- Geopaparazzi and SMASH (May 20th 2020, 17.00 - 18.00) Prof. Maria Antonia Brovelli (Politecnico Milano), Silvia Franceschi
- OpenStreetMap: how to contribute and use its data, (May 21st 2020, 09.00 - 12.00) Prof. Maria Antonia Brovelli (Politecnico Milano)
- Epicollect (May 21st 2020, 12.00 - 13.00) Prof. Maria Antonia Brovelli and Daniele Oxoli (Politecnico Milano)
- QField (May 21st 2020, 14.00 - 15.00) Prof. Maria Antonia Brovelli and Berk Anbaroglu (Politecnico Milano)
- LandslideSurvey, (May 21st 2020, 15.00 - 16.00) Prof. Maria Antonia Brovelli and Edoardo Pessina (Politecnico Milano) Edoardo Pessina
- Global Navigation Satellite Systems (GNSS) fundamentals (May 27th 2020, 14.00 - 18.00) Prof. Augusto Mazzoni (Sapienza)
- From GNSS raw measurements to precise positions (theory and on field survey) (May 28th 2020, 09.00 - 13.00) Prof. Augusto Mazzoni (Sapienza)
- From GNSS raw measurements to precise positions (data processing) (May 28th 2020, 14.30 - 16.30) Prof. Augusto Mazzoni (Sapienza)
Data Science and Network Medicine for Health and Medical Research (In collaboration with the PhD in Innovative Biomedical Technologies in Clinical Medicine)
- Network science and network medicine (June 8th - 9th, 09:00 - 11:00) Prof. Guido Caldarelli (IMT Alti Studi Lucca)
- High-resolution contact networks: from wearable sensors to contact tracing apps (June 8th, 11:00 - 13:00) Prof. Ciro Cattuto (ISI and University of Torino)
- Mobile phone data for informing public health actions across the COVID-19 pandemic life cycle (June 9th, 11:00 - 13:00) Dr. Michele Tizzoni, Senior Researcher, ISI Foundation
- Why and how medicine needs to interplay with Data Science (June 10th, 09:00 - 13:00) Prof. Alberto Tozzi (Ospedale Pediatrico Bambin Gesù)
- Network Medicine: Concepts, Methods and Applications (June 15th, 15:00 - 19:00) Prof. Kimberly Glass (Harvard University and Brigham and Women's Hospital)
The digital humanities course started an important collaboration with the Museum of Classical Art of Sapienza under the supervision of Prof. Antonella Sbrilli and Prof. Davide Nadali. The four projects carried out by the students have been presented in a public event held on January 29, 2021 with the participation of about 60 students and teachers of the scientific and humanities area and the introduction of the Director of the Museum of Classical Art Prof. Marcello Barbanera and Prof. Stefano Leonardi coordinator of the PhD in Data Science.
3. The Doctoral Program in Data Science has also organised several Research Seminars including:
[03/12/2020] A synthesis of behavioural and mainstream economics
[26/11/2020 ] Analysis and interventions in large network games: graphon games and graphon contagion
[29/10/2020 ] Keeping Your Friends Close: Land Allocation with Friends
[15/10/2020] On the characterization of generalized additive games
[08/10/2020] Innovation and Strategic Network Formation
[07/10/2020] Quality factors in biomedical and clinical data - S.T.I.T.C.H. - Sapienza information-based Technology Innovation Center for Health (S.T.I.T.C.H.) Sapienza
[24/09/2020] Risk-aversion and diversity in network routing
[06/02/2020] Sequential Competition and the Strategic Origins of Preferential Attachment
[30/01/2020] Cost Sharing over Combinatorial Domains - Georgios Birmpas (Oxford University)
[13/12/2019] Benford’s Law and Robust Statistics for the Detection of Frauds in International Trade, Riccardo Faini CEIS
[12/12/2019] Two quantitative studies concerning voting systems - Allan Borodin (University of Toronto)
[ 09/12/2019] Graph Clustering with noisy queries and motifs - Charalampos Tsourakakis (Boston University and Harvard University)
[29/03/2019] Simple versus Optimal Contracts - Paul Duetting (London School of Economics)
[29/11/2018] Equal-cost mechanism design with monitoring - Piotr Krysta (University of Liverpool)
[18/10/2018] A Theory of Spectral Clustering - Luca Trevisan (U.C. Berkeley)
[13/10/2018] Capturing Digital Signals for Lifestyle Health Research - Yelena Mejova (ISI Foundation, Turin)
[12/10/2018] An Optimal Truthful Mechanism for the Online Weighted Bipartite Matching Problem - Rebecca Reiffenhauser (RWTH Aachen)
4. PROJECTS, AWARDS AND RECOGNITIONS for the academic year 2019-2020
4.1 PhD students winners of calls for projects for research start-up - Sapienza University of Rome , academic year 2019-2020
Luca Maiano: “Modelli di deep learning per problemi di multimedia forensics”
Valerio Guarrasi: “Radiomics and Deep Learning for the Detection of COVID-19”
Giorgio Barnabo: “A Universal Music Model: deep learning architectures for automatic arrangement, production and generation of songs starting from partial information encoded in mel-spectrograms”
Lorenzo Lastilla: “Digitalisation of the corpus of the undeciphered Cypriot-Minoan and Rongorongo writing systems and their processing for automatic analysis (Machine Learning)”
Giovanni Trappolini: "Spectral methods in geometrical deep learning for fake news detection"
4.2 RESEARCH PROJECTS
[2018 - 2023] ERC Advanced Grant “Algorithmic and Mechanism Design Research for Online Markets” (AMDROMA)
[2019-2022] MIUR PRIN 2019-2022 Project ALGADIMAR "Algorithms, Games, and Digital Markets" - Principal Investigator
[2020 - 2024] SoBigData++: local site co-leader, Research and Innovation action, Horizon2020
[2020 - 2024] SoBigData++: local site co-leader, Research and Innovation action, Horizon2020
 Master Degree in Industry 4.0 / Ind4.0, participant, Erasmus+
 EASYTOUR (``Experience-oriented Search Engine for Touristics Products''), participan, Italian Ministry for Economic DevelopmentSergio Barbarossa:
[2019-2022] H2020 Project Europe/Taiwan 5G-CONNI (Private 5G networks for Connected Industries)
Maria Antonia Brovelli:
[2018–2021] ESA “High Resolution Land Cover CCI +”. Leader of the Politecnico di Milano Unit
[2019-2022] Erasmus + Climate Change Induced Disaster Management in Africa (CIDMA). Leader of the Politecnico di Milano Unit
[2019-2021] INTERREG V-A project IT-CH 2014-2020 – “INSUBRIPARKS” - ID 605472, Database and applications design for the Insubric parks monitoring and touristic promotion. Leader of the Politecnico di Milano Unit
[2019- 2021] INTERREG V-A Italy Switzerland 2014-2020 – “SIMILE” - ID 523544, An Information System for the Integrated Monitoring of Insubric Lakes and their Ecosystem.
[2019-2022]SIMILE (Informative System for the Integrated Monitoring of Insubric Lakes and their Ecosystems)
[2018-2021]CCI+ HRLC Climate Change Initiative – High Resolution Land Cover
[2019-2021]GIOCOnDA (Gestione Integrata e Olistica del Ciclo di vita degli Open Data – “Integrated and Holistic Management of the Open Data Cycle”)
[2018-2021] ViaLibera?! Founded by Fondazione di Comunità Milano Onlus
[2017-2020]GEO4D a Capacity Building in Higher Education project
[2015-2021] Local referent of the National Scientific Degrees Plan - PLS / Statistica
 Progetto di Ateneo: Optimal transportation based Bayesian experimental designs with application to clinical trials, PI
 DP-3T Consortium, Distributed Privacy-Preserving Contract Tracing
 COVID Mobility Monitoring Project
 EU project PERISCOPE (PI at ISI Foundation),
 EU project EPIPOSE (team member at ISI Foundation)
[2020-2021] “DeepCompression” on Underwater Video Compression PI funded by WSENSE s.r.l
[2020-2021] Recipient for a computational resource grant on the Marconi100 HPC (4000 hours on V100 Nvidia GPUs) for research on Point Cloud Domain Adaption via Forecasting (Principal Investigator: Prof. E. Ricci)
[2020-2021] Principal Co-Investigator for a computational resource grant on the Marconi100 HPC (4000 hours on V100 Nvidia GPUs) for research on Domain Adaptation for Neural Architecture Search
[2020-2021] Recipient of Google Cloud Research Grant in support of research on "Object Search and Re-Identification in Dynamic Environments"
 Recipient of Google Cloud Platform Education Grant in support of a 3-day Google-Sapienza workshop seminar on work on "Building an image search engine"
[2019-2022]Principal Co-Investigator of the PhD Grant by the European Institute of Innovation and Technology (EIT)
 Progetto di Ateneo: Bayesian methods for consensus and evidence in clinical trials
Research Council of Norway "Statistical modelling and inference for (high-dimensional) financial data"
 MUCCA (CHIST-ERA)
 HY3DA (Sapienza Progetti di Ricerca Grandi);
 SoFT: Fog of Social IoT (Sapienza Progetti di Ateneo)
 PNRM "Unavox"
[2019-2023] iPC individualized Paediatric Cure – H2020
[2019-2024] ERA4TB European Regimen Accelerator for Tuberculosis
[2019-present] NMI, Network Medicine Institute, nonprofit entity recognized by the US and EU
[2016-2020] OpenMultiMed Open Multiscale Systems Medicine COST Action
MISE (Ministry of Economic Development) Project. Copyright management on 5G network over Blockchain
 Decentralised RObinson List managed by Fondazione Ugo Bordoni
 MISE (Ministry of Economic Development) Project: Smart Factory, Agrifood and Life Science.
 Erasmus+ Capacity Building in Higher Education: Master Degree in Industry 4.0
Fabio Massimo Zanzotto:
[2021-2025] Principal investigator and coordinator in KATY: Knowledge At the Tip of Your fingers: Clinical Knowledge for Humanity - H2020 UniToV
[2020-2024] WP Leader in Artificial Intelligence and Explainable Machine Learning in REVERT - taRgeted thErapy for adVanced colorEctal canceR paTients, UniToV [2020-2022] Principal investigator and coordinator in SFIdA Now – Model and design of a System for Training and Information of Operators and Users of Non-Wild Environments"
 Winner of "Bando per la mobilità degli studenti di dottorato n. 1605"
 GRS29 Central-North Italy Best Master Thesis Award 2019 - IEEE GRS29 Central-North Italy (CNI) Chapter (11/02/2020)
Maria Antonia Brovelli:
 ISPRS President’s Honorary Citation
 ACM Distinguished Member for Outstanding Scientific Contributions to Computing
 Best paper award for: Marius Miron, Songül Tolan, Emilia Gomez, Carlos Castillo: “Why Machine Learning May Lead to Unfairness: Evidence from Risk Assessment for Juvenile Justice in Catalonia.” In Proc. of International Conference on Artificial Intelligence and Law (ICAIL), Montréal, Canada, pp. 83-92. ACM Press.
 Best paper award for: Valerio Lorini, Carlos Castillo, Francesco Dottori, Milan Kalas, Domenico Nappo, Peter Salamon: “Integrating Social Media into a Pan-European Flood Awareness System: A Multilingual Approach.” In ISCRAM. Valencia, Spain.
 Task Force "dati" Covid-19 del Ministero dell'Innovazione,
 Member of European Lab for Learning and Intelligent Systems (ELLIS)
 IoT/WT Innovation World Cup – Top IoT Innovator “City”
 Digital Champions Award – South Germany
 Decentralised RObinson List project won the Algorand Grand Prize at Future of Blockchain Competition.