The PhD in Astronomy, Astrophysics and Space Science (with English as official language) has been activated upon agreement among Sapienza, Univ. di Roma tor Vergata and Istituto Nazionale di Astrofisica (INAF). The Course has the main aim to form students at a level such to be internationally competitive as a researcher in Astronomy, Astrophysics and Space Science. Such an aim is reached after the 3 years course.
The first cycle activated was the XXVIIIth, which ended in October 2015.
In the first year students follow at least two classes of 16 hours each in the fields strictly related to the PhD topics; they can follow PhD international Schools and are trained in computational and experimental labs. Part of the courses followed by the PhD students are thought also to reinforce the fundamental cultural basis needed to a high level approach to the themes of the PhD (Astronomy, Astrophysics and Space Science).
After this first year, upon acquisition of the knowledge described above, the PhD in the following years should reach these objectives:
1. to be able to write a statement of research with the help of his tutor;
2. to handle all the techniques and competences in mathematics-computational methods-physics to be able to accomplish the research statement as defined in 1;
3. to be able to read and speak fluently the English language in order to understand deeply the scientific literature and to write clearly scientific reports and papers;
4. to get a profound scientific critical consciousness in order to be able to distinguish between the most relevant aspects from those less relevant;
5. to be able to act with high level of independence in the work needed to accomplish the PhD research program;
6. to be efficient in teaming with collaborators;
7. to acquire full ability to present his results.