Research: Preventive conservation of heritage collections in the era of Climate Change
PhD student in Earth Sciences - Cultural Heritage Curriculum - XXXVII PON cycle
PhD RESEARCH OBJECTIVES
The general goal of my PhD project is the definition of a strategy for mitigating the impact of indoor air pollutants and risky microclimate conditions on heritage collections in the era of Climate Change.
The specific objectives of this PhD project are:
1) Monitoring the impact of pollutants in the historic built environment (e.g. outdoor and indoor building envelope) and on heritage collections (e.g. paper and photographic materials) preserved inside the buildings themselves through:
- the development and application of innovative microclimate and bio-chemical sensors (e.g. sensors for damp environments and dosimeters for VOC - Volatile Organic Compound);
- the study and identification of experimental relationships (e.g. climate TRANSFER functions, air pollutants and particulate EXCHANGE functions) which quantify/qualify the effect of current and future environmental conditions and pollutants on the chemical properties of Cultural Heritage materials (e.g. paper and photographic materials).
2) Assessment of the impact of the outdoor future climate scenario on climate-sensitive collections preserved inside (possible candidate: photographic materials).
3) Testing the validity of new technological tools and models through selected case studies to elaborate a management protocol useful for heritage collection and building envelope.
• Advanced Training Course: "La fotografia dal dagherrotipo al digitale: tecniche, conservazione, archiviazione, digitalizzazione" at the Tuscia University, including internship at the Alinari Foundation for Photography (April 2021 - December 2021).
• Master degree course in "Sciences and Technologies for the Conservation of Cultural Heritage" at the Sapienza University of Rome.
Exams passed with grade average of 30 (September 2019 - September 2021).
Winner of the excellence course for the A.Y. 2020-2021.
Mster Degree with full marks (110L) on the 20/09/2021.
• Three-year degree course in "Diagnostics and Materials for Conservation and Restoration" at the University of Florence. Exams passed with grade average of 30. (September 2016 - September 2019).
Three-year degree with full marks (110L) on the 27/09/2019.
• Scientific high school diploma with full marks (100L).
• Course "Catalogazione tra tutela e valorizzazione" organized by the ICCD and carried out online on the LMS platform fad.fondazionescuolapatrimonio.it (total 4 hours of teaching, 24/12/2021).
• Training Camp “Dalla diagnostica alla fruizione museale: le opere del Museo del Colle del Duomo di Viterbo” (one week, from 7 to 13 November 2021).
• Internship at Art Defender in collaboration with the Alinari Foundation for Photography in Florence (200 hours, from 22 September to 19 November 2021).
• Excellence internship at the Sapienza University of Rome, collaboration with the Tuscia University for a diagnostic investigation conducted on historical photographic material (March 2021 - September 2021).
• Thesis internship at Sapienza University of Rome, interdepartmental collaboration for diagnostic investigation conducted on ancient books at the Library of Legal Sciences of Sapienza University of Rome (December 2020 - September 2021).
• Internship at the Opera del Duomo of Santa Maria del Fiore in Florence, in collaboration with the Departments of Geology and Biology of the University of Florence (February 2019 - April 2019).
• Representative of the PhD students of the Department of Earth Sciences at the Sapienza University of Rome (from January 2022).
• ENGLISH language: level B2, guaranteed by a written and oral comprehension test at the CLA of the University of Florence (from September 2019).