Associate Professor MED/03 and Executive Doctor of geneticists
- Department of Precision and Regenerative Medicine and Ionian Area, University of Bari Aldo Moro;
-Unit of Medical Genetics IRCCS “S. de Bellis”, Castellana Grotte, Bari.
OTHER ASSIGNMENTS: (if useful for potential new PhD students)
-University teaching of Medical Genetics at the Faculty of Medicine and Surgery, University of Bari Aldo Moro. Degree courses:
2011-2014 Nursing Sciences - Taranto branch (INF-TA)
2011-2013 Biomedical Laboratory Technicians (TLB)
2011-2021 Dietetics (DIE)
2012-2014 Nursing Sciences - Miulli headquarters (INF-MIulli)
2014-2017,2020-2021 Cardiocirculatory Pathophysiology and Cardiovascular Perfusion Techniques (TFC-PC)
2017-2019, 2020-2021 Audiometric Techniques (TAM)
2018- 2019, 2020-2021 Orthoptics (ORT)
2018-2022 Speech Therapy (LOG)
2018-2022 Hearing Aid Techniques (TAP)
2019-2021 Environmental Prevention Techniques (TPA)
2018-2019, 2020-2021 Neurophysiopathology (TNF) techniques
2019-2021 Dental Hygiene (IGD)
2020-2022 Nursing Sciences - IRCCS de Bellis headquarters
2021-2022 Medicine and Surgery - Bari English Medical Curriculum (BEMC)
-Teaching of Medical Genetics at the School of Specialization in:
Medical Genetics, University of Bari Aldo Moro
Biochemistry and Clinical Pathology; University of Bari Aldo Moro
- Member of the teaching staff of the PhD School in Molecular Medicine of the Department of Molecular Medicine, University of Rome "La Sapienza"
- Tutorial activity of PhD students (2006 to present):
2006-2008 PhD in Medical and Oncological Genetics, Faculty of Medicine and Surgery, “Le Scotte” Polyclinic, University of Siena;
2007-2018 PhD program (Philosophiae Doctor) of the Open University (Great Britain) at the Mario Negri Sud Consortium and the "Mario Negri IRCCS Pharmacological Research Institute" of Milan (Via La Masa 19, 20156 Milan), recognized as Affiliated Research Center (ARC)
2014-2018 PhD in Functional and Applied Genomics and Proteomics, Department of Biosciences, Biotechnologies and Biopharmaceuticals, University of Bari Aldo Moro
2016-to date PhD in Molecular Medicine, Department of Molecular Medicine, University of Rome "La Sapienza"
TRAINING AND CAREER
2022-present National Scientific Qualification Professor of Medical Genetics (SSD MED/03)
2017 - present Associate Professor of Medical Genetics (SSD MED/03) at the School of Medicine of the University of Bari Aldo Moro
2017- present Consultant Medical Geneticist expert in Cancer Genetics at Medical Genetics Unit IRCCS 'Saverio de Bellis' Hospital Specialized in Gastroenterology, Castellana Grotte, Bari.
2013-present Head of laboratory and Principal Investigator (PI) at Medical Genetics Unit IRCCS 'Saverio de Bellis' Hospital Specialized in Gastroenterology, Castellana Grotte, Bari.
2012- present Head of laboratory and Principal Investigator (PI) at the Laboratory of Medical Genetics, Department of Precision and Regenerative Medicine and Ionian Area, University of Bari Aldo Moro, Bari.
2012-present Medical Genetic Director at the Medical Genetics Unit, Department of Precision and Regenerative Medicine and Ionian Area, University of Bari Aldo Moro Bari.
2013-present Member of the Ethics Committee (Expert in Cancer Genetics) at IRCCS 'Giovanni Paolo II' Cancer Institute
2012 - 2017 Researcher Confirmed in Medical Genetics, Faculty of Medicine and Surgery, University of Bari Aldo Moro
2008-2014 Laboratory Head and Principal Investigator (PI) at the Gene Expression and Signal Transduction Laboratory, Mario Negri Sud Consortium, Santa Maria Imbaro (Chieti)
2006-2012 Teaching assistant as an expert in Medical Genetics, Faculty of Medicine and Surgery, University of Bari Aldo Moro
2005-2008 Doctor in Specialized Training in Medical Genetics, Faculty of Medicine and Surgery, University of Bari Aldo Moro
2005-2008 Adjunct Assistant Professor, Department of Biology, College of Science and Technology, Temple University, Philadelphia, USA
2002-2003 Associate Researcher at 'Clayton Foundation Laboratories for Peptide Biology, The Salk Institute for Biological Studies, La Jolla, California, USA
2004 Associate Researcher at Dulbecco Telethon Institute at ICBTE, San Raffaele Biomedical Science Park in Rome
2001 Post-Doctoral Contractor (Post-Doc) at Department of Pathology, Anatomy and Cell Biology, Thomas Jefferson University, Philadelphia, USA
2001-2002 Post-Doctoral Contract (Post-Doc) at the Gene Expression Laboratory, Department of Internal Medicine, University of Rome "La Sapienza" ()
1997-1998 Ph.D. student at the Medical Genetics Unit, Faculty of Medicine and Surgery, University of Bari Aldo Moro
1999-2000 Ph.D. Student at Department of Pathology, Anatomy and Cell Biology, Thomas Jefferson U
1991-1993 Student of the Faculty of Medicine and Surgery at the Department of Internal Medicine, University of Bari Aldo Moro
1993-1994 Student of the Faculty of Medicine and Surgery at the Department of Immunology and Microbiology, University of Limburg, Maastricht, The Netherlands (ERASMUS)
1994-1995 Student of the Faculty of Medicine and Surgery at the Departments of Cardiology, General Surgery, Gynecology, and Molecular Biology, University of La Laguna, Tenerife, Spain (ERASMUS)
1996-1997 Student of the Faculty of Medicine and Surgery at the Medical Genetics Unit, University of Bari Aldo Moro
MAIN LINES OF RESEARCH
- study of cancer-related pathways;
- p38a and SMYD3 as molecular biomarkers for target therapy approach in gastrointestinal cancer;
-studies for discovery of an allosteric inhibitor of SMYD3 lysine methyltransferase;
-molecular and functional characterization of clinical genetic VUS (Variant Unknown Significance);
-hereditary cancer predisposition syndromes
- “2019 INVESTIGATOR GRANT AIRC. Project title: “Targeting the novel ATM / CHK2 / BRCA2 direct interactor SMYD3 to overcome colorectal cancer drug resistance”. Project code: IG23794. Funding of € 685,000. (2020-2024)
- “PRIN: RESEARCH PROJECTS OF RELEVANT NATIONAL INTEREST - Call 2017” Project title: “Adiponcosis: paving the road between obesity and cancer” Head of Unit. Funding € 175,815. (2019-2022)
- “2014 INVESTIGATOR GRANT AIRC” ID. 15696. Project title: “Targeting SMYD3 activity on non-histone proteins in colorectal cancer”. Financing € 345,000. (2015-2018)
- "FINALIZED RESEARCH GRANT" HEALTH RESEARCH MINISTRY OF HEALTH 2011-2012 '. RF-2011-02352088 Project title: “Meeting senior members in the search for new associates
of the exclusive hamartomatous gene club ". Unit Manager. Financing € 94,500. (2014-2017)
- "YOUNG RESEARCHERS GRANT" HEALTH RESEARCH MINISTRY OF HEALTH 2011-2012 '. GR-2011-02351968 Project title: "FoxO3A meets the mitochondrial genome: may the ultimate newcomer smooth the way towards mitochondrial medicine in colorectal cancer?". Principal Investigator. Financing € 405,000. (2014-2017)
- “2012 FIRB CALL -" FUTURE IN RESEARCH "PROGRAM - MINISTRY OF EDUCATION, UNIVERSITY AND RESEARCH (D.D. 6/11/2012, prot. N. 735 / ric)". Title: "New cellular and molecular mechanisms involved in Colitis-associated colorectal cancer: implications for innovative therapeutic strategies." Code: RBFR12VP3Q_003. Project Coordinator: FANTINI Massimo Claudio. Project duration: 36 months. Project Cost: 903.437 euros.
Head of Unit: SIMONE Cristiano. Cost of the Simone Unit Project (Line 3): € 275,054. (2013-2015)
- “2010 INVESTIGATOR GRANT AIRC”. Project title: "Pharmacologic manipulation of the p38alpha pathway in cancer therapy: 'Warburg and beyond'". Funding 240,000 euros. (2010-2013)
- “BAYER HEALTHCARE Grant”. Project title: "Evaluation of effects of Sorafenib and SB202190 as single agents or in combination in colorectal cancer both in cell lines and in animal models". Funding 50,000 euros. (2010-2011)
- NEGRI SUD ONLUS GRANT FOUNDATION. Project title: "Inhibition of p38a kinase for the induction of cell death in colon cancer". Funding 34,000 euros. (2008-2009)
- “2007 MY FIRST AIRC GRANT”. Project title: "p38a controls autophagy and cell death in colorectal cancer: from living cells to animal cancer models". Funding 150,000 euros. (2007-2010)
- "TELETHON PROGRAM FOR YOUNG ITALIAN RESEARCHERS ABROAD 2001". Project title: “Monitoring of changes in the interactions of MyoD with transcriptional co-activators and co-repressors and their sub-nuclear localizations during the myogenic program”. Funding 36,000 euros. (2002-2003)
- "YOUNG RESEARCHERS 2000 - UNIVERSITY OF BARI". Project title: "Characterization of the role of the cdk9 / cyclin T2a complex in muscle differentiation and in the formation of rhabdomyosarcoma". Funding 20,000 euros. (2000-2001)
Patent: BO / 2014 / A000627 (Italian patent). Piperidinoacetanilide compounds with activity inhibiting histone methyltransferases. Applicant: Alma Mater Studiorum - University of Bologna. Inventors: DEL RIO, Alberto; (IT), MOURA BARBOSA, Arménio Jorge; (PT), SIMONE, Cristiano; (IT), PESERICO, Alessia; (IT). Priority data: BO2014A000627 07.11.2014 IT.
FIVE SELECTED PUBLICATIONS
1) Lepore Signorile M, Grossi V, Di Franco S, Forte G, Disciglio V, Fasano C, Sanese P, De Marco K, Susca FC, Mangiapane LR, Nicotra A, Di Carlo G, Dituri F, Giannelli G, Ingravallo G, Canettieri G, Stassi G, Simone C. 2021. Pharmacological targeting of the novel β-catenin chromatin-associated kinase p38α in colorectal cancer stem cell tumorspheres and organoids. Cell Death Dis., 2021 Mar 25.
2) Sanese P, Fasano C, Buscemi G, Bottino C, Corbetta S, Fabini E, Silvestri V, Valentini V, Disciglio V, Forte G, Lepore Signorile M, De Marco K, Bertora S, Grossi V, Guven U, Porta N, Di Maio V, Manoni E, Giannelli G, BartoliniM, Del Rio A, Caretti G, Ottini L, Simone C. Targeting SMYD3 to sensitize homologous recombination-proficient tumors to PARP-mediated synthetic lethality. iScience (Published:September 22, 2020; DOI:https://doi.org/10.1016/j.isci.2020.101604)
3) Grossi V, Forte G, Sanese P, Peserico A, Tezil T, Lepore Signorile M, Fasano C, Lovaglio R, Bagnulo R, Loconte DC, Susca FC, Resta N, Simone C. The longevity SNP rs2802292 uncovered: HSF1 activates stress-dependent expression of FOXO3 through an intronic enhancer. Nucleic Acids Res. 2018 May 4. doi: 10.1093/nar/gky331.
4) Grossi V, Lucarelli G, Forte G, Peserico A, Matrone A, Germani A, Rutigliano M, Stella A, Bagnulo A, Loconte D, Galleggiante V, Sanguedolce F, Cagiano S, Bufo P, Trabucco S, Maiorano E, Ditonno P, Battaglia M, Resta N, Simone C. 2015. Loss of STK11 expression is an early event in prostate carcinogenesis and predicts therapeutic response to targeted therapy against MAPK/p38. Autophagy 11: 2102-21. ISSN: 1554-8627; doi: 10.1080/15548627.2015.1091910.
5) Simone C, Forcales SV, Hill DA, Imbalzano AN, Latella L, Puri PL. 2004b. p38 pathway targets SWISNF chromatin-remodeling complex to muscle-specific loci. Nature Genetics, 36: 738-43. ISSN: 1061-4036, doi: 10.1038/ng1378